Dealing with Noise Disturbances in Strata

Let’s get the obvious out the way first… Residents must accept that with high density living there is always going to be some level of noise throughout the property.

With the obvious now out the way It is still fairly common for residents to communicate their displeasure to their Strata Manager.

So how do we deal with it then?

Speak to your Neighbours

The first and most direct option is to openly communicate with your Neighbours. Even if your unaware of where the noise coming from it pays to chat to a neighbour and see if they can hear the noise disturbance too.

In the instance where you know who is causing the noise disturbance it is worth trying to speak with them direct.

If your neighbour is having a party and it’s getting late or using power tools early in the morning – knock on their door or try phone them up to speak about it.

Most noise complaints in strata properties can be resolved right at the very moment they begin.

What if I can’t contact them?

If you have no way of contacting the person responsible for the noise it is suggested to try taking an audio recording, documenting the time, date and impact of the disturbance and forwarding this onto your Strata Manager or Strata Council. Why? Because it is important information required for formalising a complaint. In most instances, the Manager or Council will pass on the complaint to the offending resident in the hopes they can find a fair and equitable solution for all parties.

What if it persists?

Should the disturbance persist, the matter may need to be escalated.

Some of the options you should consider are;

Breach of Strata Company By-laws:

It is important that if you want to take this route that you provide your Strata Manager or Council with a detailed report of the disturbances. The Strata Company will have certain measures they can implement under the Strata Titles Act WA (1985) or your Strata Company by-laws. For more information you can check out our part two coming soon.

Local Council:

Generally, most councils will have a hotline for noise disturbances and can sometimes be contacted on a 24/7 basis. A ‘ranger’ can then be arranged to investigate the noise and whether there are reasonable grounds for further action. It is again important that Residents have a detailed report as detailed in the above paragraph. Residents are encouraged to check their local council website and understand their specific noise complaint procedure before contacting them.


Particularly late at night, the police are the best choice. For loud, unruly behaviour which has gotten out of hand it is best to contact them and provide them access to the Strata Property so they can take the necessary measures.

How can we reduce the impact of noise?

Below is a list of ways People living in high density properties can reduce the impact of noise on themselves and onto others;

  • Wear ear plugs at Night
  • Wear headphones when watching tv or listening to music
  • Quick sound proofing measures such as Curtains and rugs
  • More expensive measures; double-glazed windows, re-sealing doors, installing carpets – Ensure that if you are to undertake any flooring installations that adequate soundproof underlay is applied to the flooring.

Author: Joshua Gentili